PART I - GENERAL EXPECTATIONS
The presentation will include:
A review of how the Title I federal program assists the school through professional development materials and providing Family Involvement Funds.
1. AIMSWEB Pro Complete program for benchmarking and progress monitoring our math and reading
2. Supplies for our annual Latin Heritage Festival
3. Professional development materials for teaching math for teachers
4. Instructional supplies for use in the classroom
5. Supplies for refreshments at parent/teacher conferences
Summary of our ODE Report Card, expectations for achievement levels, AYP, and attendance.
Parent/Staff Compact Review
Family Involvement Policy
Parent Suggestion Form distributed later in the spring
PART II - Description of how Mansfield Spanish Immersion School will implement required school parent involvement policy/plan components:
1. Mansfield Spanish Immersion School will act to involve parents in the joint development of the school with parental involvement plan through:
- Provide specific opportunities for input at parent meetings.
- Include parents in planning meetings that involve planning for parent involvement.
- Convene a parent committee to review the plan before it is finalized.
2. Mansfield Spanish Immersion School will take the following action to involve parents in the process of school review and improvement:
Encourage parent participation at all events—at least one event per month is provided that involves parents at school.
Keep parents informed of student progress on a regular basis through various media—TV and or radio (WMFD/WMAN) programs, newsletters, district website, and Facebook account.
Provide opportunities for two-way communication with groups and individual parents and families with staff and administration.
Continue Open Door visitation policy and the once per semester Parent Visitation Day.
3. Mansfield Spanish Immersion School will inform parents of the school's participation in Title One programs.
- Annual Meeting
- Print media
4. Mansfield Spanish Immersion School will provide parents children participating in title one programs information in a timely manner about Title I programs that include descripton and explanation of the school's curriculum, academic expectations, and assesments.
- Our parents are informed on a regular basis that our curriculum follows the Common Core State Standards. Our teachers, our newsletters, conferences and parent meetings are used to convey the academic expectations and assessment results. Our school is Title I School wide that benefits from some materials provided for classroom use, materials for professional development, and for our family programs.
5. Mansfield Spanish Immersion School will provide opportunities for parents to formulate suggestions and to participate in decisions about the education of their children:
Parents are considered the first teachers of our students. Because we are an immersion program, parent involvement is vital to the success of our students. We encourage parents from the beginning of the application process to work with their children at home and to come to us whenever there is an issue/problem encountered at any level. Our teachers are encouraged to reach out to the parents and to engage them in the educational process. Parents are invited to visit the school and classrooms as much as they want, and to volunteer often. Consequently, our parents often have suggestions and ideas that we find very useful for the school as well as for individual students. We seek to work as a team first.
We encourage/recruit parents to run for school board openings.
6. Mansfield Spanish Immersion School wil provide each parent and individual student a report about the performance of their child on assessments:
- Mid-term and quarterly reports are prepared and distributed.
- Conferences are held each semester and as needed.
- Individual parent/teacher conferences are held as necessary to ensure success of struggling or at-risk students.
7. Mansfield Spanish Immersion School will take the following actions to provide each parent a timely notice when their child has been assigned or has been taught for four (4) or more consecutive weeks by a teacher who is not H.Q.T.
- This is accomplished through a letter to the affected parents.
8. Mansfield Spanish Immersion School will provide assistance to parents in understanding the following:
Common Core State Standards
New Diagnostics and results
The seriousness of the Third Grade Guarantee
9. Mansfield Spanish Immersion School will provide materials and training to help parents work with their children to improve achievement by:
- Providing websites and web based programs to work on at home.
- Engaging Mansfield City Schools’ School and Family Liaison for parental support and materials.
- Through our Parent/Teacher Conferences, Conferences for student Plans for Success.
- Newsletter articles that focus on content.
- Family booklets explaining Common Core content for each grade level.
- Provide Parent Visitation Days so parents may see a “snapshot” of the student day.
- Be attentive and responsive to parents’ requests and students’ needs.
10. Mansfield Spanish Immersion School will educate its teachers, pupil services personnel, principals and other staff in how to reach out to, communicate with, and work with parents as equal partners in the value and utility of contributions of parents...will implement and coordinate parent programs and build ties between parents and schools by:
- Including parents in planning for math and literacy nights, encouraging participation, ideas and support
- Encourage teachers to strive for 100% participation of parents in Parent/Teacher conferences
- Provide staff with articles and websites that articulate the importance and necessity of parent involvement
- Staff encouraged to provide various ways parents and families may volunteer
- Staff encouraged to begin each meeting with positive comments regarding student (s).
- Engage Mansfield City Schools' Family and School Liaison to provide information to staff.
11. Mansfield Spanish Immersion School will provide staff with Professional Development to build staff's understanding of good family involvement.
- Engage the system’s School and Family Liaison to provide professional development for staff to understand her responsibilities so they may learn and use her knowledge to help themselves and their students.
- Provide staff with good research articles and best practices for good family involvement.
- Encourage staff to participate in all of the family involvement activities at the school.
- Encourage parents to invite staff for social activities, student sport and other performance activities.
12. Mansfield Spanish Immersion School staff will work together to provide P.D. opportunities to explore the value of good family involvement and then take steps to achieve determined goals.
- Staff work together to make parent involvement activities engaging and productive in promoting good, positive relationships, utilizing research articles, as well as resourcing ideas that are proven best practices, e.g. include refreshments, make involvement activities active rather than passive observing.
- Staff work together to integrate the common core expectations for speaking when planning activities that include students and parents, e.g. the Mexican Unit culminating event.
- Staff actively encourage volunteering in their classrooms
13. Mansfield Spanish Immersion School will attempt to coordinate and integrate parental involvement programs and activities with Preschool, Head Start, and other such programs where appropriate:
- Our preschool participates in many of the involvement programs, e.g. Literacy Night, Math Night, and Latin Heritage Festival.
- Preschool transition is done in the spring with our kindergarten classrooms, and parents are invited.
- Classroom Visitation Days include the preschool classrooms.
14. Mansfield Spanish Immersion School will take the following actions to ensure that information related to the school and parent-programs, meetings, and other activities is sent to parents of participating children in an understandable and uniform format, including alternative format upon request, and to the extent practicable, in a language the parents can understand:
- Listen and honor practicable suggestions by parents.
- We have capacity to provide translators as needed.
- We regularly send quarterly and mid-term reports.
- Staff and families utilize e-mail, and other social media.
- Newsletters and calendars are sent home on a regular basis and are timely.